The best orthographers from across the Cherry Creek School District put on a dazzling display of spelling prowess during the 2018 CCSD Spelling Bee, held Jan. 26 at the Student Achievement Resource Center.
Orthographer, which means a person who is versed in spelling, was not one of the spelling bee words. However, the students tackled dozens of other challenging words, including desiderium, which means an ardent longing; anglaise, an English country dance; and miscible, which means capable of being mixed.
Nearly 1,000 students took part in the spelling bee process, which began with school bees held at 48 elementary and middle schools earlier this year. The top spellers from each school then competed in the district bee, which began with a written spelling test. This year winner of the written test was Gayathri Saravanakumar, a sixth-grade student from from Falcon Creek Middle School.
The written test was followed by an oral spelling bee, which was a marathon of sorts. Students continued to spell word after word correctly, taking the bee into 11 rounds. The final two students battled back and forth until Mahi Kathait, a seventh-grader from Liberty Middle School, won the bee by correctly spelling geosynchronous, which means of or relating to a satellite traveling in an orbit 22,300 miles (35,900 km) above the earth's equator. At this altitude, the satellite's period of rotation, 24 hours, matches the earth's and the satellite always remains in the same spot over the earth.
Aarya Rane, a fourth-grade student from Rolling Hills Elementary, took second place, and Snigdha Kumar, a sixth-grader at Fox Ridge Middle School, took third place.
The CCSD Spelling Bee is sponsored by the district’s Advanced Academic Services department, which provides programming and support for gifted and advanced learners. The top 20 spellers from the district bee will go on to represent Cherry Creek Schools in the Colorado State Spelling Bee on March 10 at the University of Denver. They are:
• Mahi Kathait, seventh-grader, Liberty Middle School
• Aarya Rane, fourth-grader, Rolling Hills Elementary
• Snigdha Kumar, sixth-grader, Fox Ridge Middle School
• Angelo Pan, eighth-grader, Campus Middle School
• Maaz Qureshi, sixth-grader, Fox Ridge Middle School
• Ivan Shokhrin, seveth-grader, Campus Middle School
• Saisha Garud, sixth-grader, West Middle School
• Daak Amum, fourth-grader, Holly Hills Elementary
• Jackson English, sixth-grader, Horizon Community Middle School
• Jennifer Oh, sixth-grader, Campus Middle School
• Kayden Eshun, fourth-grader, Creekside Elementary
• Harini Sundaram, fifth-grader, Pine Ridge Elementary
• Kyle Cacciavillani, fifth-grader, Fox Hollow Elementary
• Shreya Rajan, sixth-grader, Thunder Ridge Middle School
• Avishi Singh, eighth-grader, Liberty Middle School
• Herschel Brown, fifth-grader, Holly Hills Elementary
• Abbas Shaikh, eighth-grader, West Middle School
• Kenley Ellis, fifth-grader, Greenwood Elementary
• Carly Philpott, seventh-grader, Campus Middle School
• Gayathri Saravanakumar, sixth-grader, Falcon Creek Middle School
Congratulations and good luck to all of these super spellers!