Slantindicular, an adjective that means somewhat oblique, was just the word Shray Chauhan needed to win the 2013 Cherry Creek School District Spelling Bee, held Feb. 8 at the Student Achievement Resource Center. Chauhan is an eighth grader at Campus Middle School. Andrew Ker, a seventh grader from Laredo Middle School, took second place, while Grant Miller, a seventh grader from Falcon Creek Middle School, took third place.
Nearly 1,000 students took part in the spelling bee process, which began with school bees held at 47 elementary and middle schools earlier this year. The 203 top spellers then competed in the district bee, which began with a written spelling test, consisting of 50 words. For the third year in a row, the winner of the written test was Andrew Ying, who is now an eighth grader at Campus Middle School. The top 28 spellers then competed in an oral spelling bee.
The top 16 students will represent Cherry Creek Schools in the Colorado State Spelling Bee on March 16. They are:
• Shray Chauhan – Campus Middle School
• Andrew Ker – Laredo Middle School
• Grant Miller – Falcon Creek Middle School
• Andrew Ying – Campus Middle School
• Kendra Neumann – Campus Middle School
• Ana Gijon Van Linden – Walnut Hills Elementary
• Isalina Colsman – Cottonwood Creek Elementary
• Tanzilla Purnota – Challenge School
• Allison Xu – Cottonwood Creek Elementary
• Valliappan Chidambaram – Sky Vista Middle School
• Daniel Schlatter – West Middle School
• Evan Damato – Cherry Creek Academy
• Megan Swierenga – Homestead Elementary
• Ramshankar Balasubramaniyan – Falcon Creek Middle School
• Anna Ying – Greenwood Elementary
• Riley Somo – Laredo Middle School
Congratulations to all of the Cherry Creek School District‘s super spellers!
The CCSD Spelling Bee is sponsored by the district’s Gifted and Talented Education department.